- Where do you work / what’s your job title?
I work in the HR Department at Victra. Headquartered in Raleigh, we are the largest premium retailer for Verizon in the United States.
- What brought you to Greenville?
In 2020, my company acquired our present Call Center location in Winterville for the purpose of supporting our more than 1,500 retail stores nationwide. I moved from Raleigh shortly after we opened to help establish the on-site HR Team and support our awesome employees. As both sides of my family hail from eastern North Carolina, it has been a pleasure to have the opportunity to move home.
- Where is your favorite breakfast/coffee spot in Greenville?
The Scullery. The food is great, and the location also gives one a terrific orientation to the atmosphere of our downtown area, with historic buildings like the Pitt County Courthouse, State Theatre, and Humber House, as well as the ECU campus, all within walking distance. My menu favorites are the Hungry Pirate and the Breakfast Bowl.
- Where is your favorite lunch spot in Greenville?
Sam Jones BBQ. I particularly enjoy taking first-time visitors to Greenville/Pitt County so that I can introduce them to eastern North Carolina BBQ cooked right: over wood coals. My menu favorite is the Jones Family Original BBQ Tray, with Collard Greens.
- Where is your favorite dinner spot in Greenville?
Villa Verde. The food is delicious, the atmosphere eclectic, and the mission of owner Jay Bastardo and his team to support the sustainable growth of our city makes this spot first-class. The Maduros and Ceviche are special favorites of mine.
- What are your top three things to do in Greenville?
(1) Attend any ECU sporting event, especially a football game and tailgate. If you are not from the South and have never experienced a southern football tailgate, it is something to see.
(2) Walk the Greenway and enjoy a beautiful view of the Tar River. There are many historical and art monuments along the way to give your walk a special ambiance, especially on a cooler Spring or Fall evening.
(3) Bike and/or walk the downtown area. All of our historic buildings as well as the University community are just beautiful to see.
- What is your favorite festival in Greenville?
There is nothing like Freeboot Fridays. Even though they only take place during the Fall when ECU has a home football game, to me, the whole downtown area takes on a special vibe. The music, food trucks, and craft vendors all contribute to a charming atmosphere for people of all ages.
- What is your favorite park in Greenville and why?
I like our city’s newest park, Wildwood. The lake, nature trails and cabin(s) give a sense of peace and tranquility. Also, the fact that it is located outside of the city helps create a nice escape-type atmosphere.
- How do you give back to Greenville?
I believe the most precious commodity of all is time. So, I enjoy giving my time to organizations in our community whose mission is special to me. I currently volunteer on the YP Steering Committee, the Finance Council of my church, and am going through the Pitt County Chamber of Commerce Leadership Institute, so that I may sharpen my leadership acumen and help shape the future of Greenville and our community. I also enjoy volunteering with the Ronald McDonald House of Eastern North Carolina. Their mission of working with families means a lot to me.
- What is one thing you would like to see come to Greenville?
I think a river taxi/cruise service in the downtown area that loops to Little Washington would drive commerce, and also show off the Tar River, which to me is one of our cities most under-appreciated gems.
- How can Greenville be improved?
Jobs, jobs, jobs. We need economic development so that more people are able to stay in this area and feel that all they could want and need they will be able to find here, without having to go to other cities. This is one of the key focuses of YP.
- How did you hear about the Young Professionals of Pitt County
Someone at my company mentioned it. I went to one meeting and knew immediately this was my group.
- Why did you join the Young Professionals of Pitt County?
The opportunity to assist in the recruitment and retention of young professionals to our area, develop a foundation for the leaders of tomorrow, all while socializing and building relationships in our community was an attractive prospect to me.
- What is your favorite YP event and why?
3rd Thursdays are my favorite because I am able to socialize with current YP friends, while also meeting new young professionals in a relaxed and warm setting.